I’m a Professor of Informatics specialised in data analytics and semantic technologies at the Insight Centre for Data Analytics of the National University of Ireland Galway. I was previously Senior Research Fellow at the Knowledge Media Institute of the Open University, where I led the Data Science Group.
I’m leading research and development activities around the meaningful sharing and exploitation of distributed information. I have worked on applying the technologies coming out of my research, especially Semantic Web/Linked Data technologies, in various domains including medicine, education especially through learning analytics, Smart Cities & the Internet of Things, personal data management, etc.
Publications and Presentation
You can find most of my publications on Google Scholar. As highlights, the two books below represents key areas of interest in my work: Research on semantic web technologies and especially on approaches to build intelligent applications out of them, and the specific application of web data technologies to education. Many of my presentations can be found on Slideshare.
- AFEL (Coordinator). The H2020 project AFEL (Analytics for Everyday Learning) provides a platform and a set of tools to support learners in analysing their learning activities that are carried out outside of formal learning environment, including social media platforms.
- MK:Smart (Workpackage leader). HEFCE funded project to build the large data infrastructure for Milton Keynes as a Smart City.
- LED (Co-I). The AHRC-funded Listening Experience Database (LED) project uses Linked Data technologies and crowdsourcing methodologies to create a research resource for Music History.
- LinkedUp (Partner PI). European Support Action which aims to push forward technologies for the exploitation and management of heterogeneous and distributed Web Data, to support the delivery of personalised, data-intensive educational services.
- DATAMI (project director). Development of an application providing a personal, semantic web history dashboard, based on collecting and analyzing the Web traffic generated by a user through their online activities.
- UCIAD (project director). Looking at the technological, organizational and privacy related challenges related to providing a user-centric view over activity data.
- Lucero (project director). Leading the set up of the linked data infrastructure for the Open University and applications of this infrastructure to improve access to and exploitation of information resources for students and researchers.
- SmartProducts (member). Activities around the application of semantic technologies embedded in small and mobile devices. Especially contribution to the benchmarking of related tools and their adaption on such devices. Concrete applications to be realised with industrial partners.
- NeOn (participant and member of the executive management board). Active developments in the areas of ontology modularization, ontology selection, ontology reuse, ontology matching and infrastructures for semantic applications. Numerous collaborations with various European partners of the project.
- Open Knowledge. Short contribution, participating in the integration of the systems developed locally with the infrastructure developed by the project, and investigating some aspects of the notion of cautious knowledge sharing.
- Knowledge Web. As part of my PhD, participated in the research around ontology modularization, ontology matching and reasoning with multiple viewpoints.
Use the icons below for email and social media contacts. My postal address is:
The Insight Centre for Data Analytics
National University of Ireland, Galway
The DERI Building
IDA Business Park,